Friday, February 4, 2011

Orson Welles or Ed Wood

Really, though, it was Bruce Springsteen’s fault. I got “The Promise” box set for Christmas, and was transfixed by the “making of” video and packaging – a replica of his notebook while recording “Darkness on the Edge or Town.” I thought through all the bands I’ve been in. I’ve done a lot of recording, but never a complete record. We always went in with a handful of our most recent songs, and laid what we had on tape (file actually, but tape just rolls off the tongue).

I started to make a list of albums that I love front to back – ones I never skip a track on:

David Bowie – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Scary Monsters
U2 – The Joshua Tree
Husker Du – Zen Arcade
Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street
Love and Rockets – Earth, Sun, Moon
Radiohead – OK Computer and The Bends
Nine Inch Nails – Pick an album – I’m a huge fan

They all work together as a whole, and while not “concept” albums (except for Zen Arcade and Ziggy Stardust), they all follow a theme or feeling that’s carried throughout the entire album.

Then I thought of The Black Marks. I realized I wanted to try to make a complete album, at least once in my life - an album that worked as a whole, not just a collection of our songs. The Black Marks are the only band I’ve been in that I feel could accomplish this. I’ve been in good bands – a punk band, “alternative band,” and such – but none possessed the capabilities for range that The Black Marks has; the ability to create multiple emotions and convey them across various soundscapes and intensity levels.

I made a list of all our songs, and whittled it down to what I thought would accomplish my goal. I took it to the band, and they agreed to the idea (there’s still some discussions/lobbying for the final song list, but it’ll be hammered out).

Currently, we have drums, bass and a few guitars down. We’re recording throughout February, which will stretch into March, and will hopefully have this album ready for release at the end of April or in May.

I’m really happy for, and proud of, the effort everyone in the band is putting into this album. It’s a pleasure to be in a band with these fine, creative people. Sketches of some of the songs slated to be on the album are found throughout this website, if you want a look at their raw foundations.

In turn, more videos, photos and notes will be posted about the making of this album in the upcoming months. Once finished, we’ll see what end of the Orson Welles/Ed Wood spectrum the album lands on. Regardless, I’m thrilled to finally be making an album that’s required a lot of thought and planning, and thrilled that it’s with The Black Marks.

I hope you keep reading these posts and enjoy what you’re seeing or hearing. Thanks for your support.

Michael

No comments: